This is a good read: Healthcare Innovation Day 2014: Igniting an Interoperable Healthcare System (warning: PDF).
Healthcare is the one industry that’s been the slowest to adopt the intelligent methods we have in most other parts of our lives. How did the communications revolution that transformed industries such as banking, entertainment and telecom somehow leave healthcare behind?
Here’s the ‘Call to Action’ list:
- Recognize that the lack of interoperability is a crisis and advocate for rapid change.
- Frame the interoperability problem correctly: Everyone is in the business of gathering and sharing data to best serve patients.
- Accelerate the full adoption of unambiguous, open standards for interoperability.
- Align stakeholder incentives to drive interoperability.
- Ensure validity, privacy, and security of data.
- Reduce technical complexity for hospitals, health systems, and healthcare workers.
- Develop new ways to use data streams that will result from interoperability to drive an adaptive system that will improve patient health.
- Guarantee secure access to data for patients, researchers.
There is a lot to do…